1. Beekeeping for Beginners Course 2021
The Tiverton Branch of Devon Beekeepers’ Association has been running successful training courses for the past 12 years in the Tiverton area, and plans to run a 2021 course despite the uncertainties of the Covid pandemic.
This course is intended for those with little or no knowledge or experience of beekeeping, with or without bees.
The course is in two parts:
Part 1 – 7 Theory Sessions at an indoor venue (in the Autumn) if possible or via Zoom if the pandemic persists (at dates to be arranged)
Part 2 – 7 Practical Sessions at our Apiary at Knightshayes
Preferably we would like to run Part 1 of the course at an indoor venue, Uplowman Village Hall, during the Autumn. However, if Covid restrictions do not allow we will run this part of the course via Zoom.
The course will cover the following:
- General introduction to the honeybee and its lifecycle
- The Beekeeper’s Year
- Essential equipment needed
- Getting started and siting your bees
- Colony management, including swarm control methods and looking after the colony health
- Products of the Hive
Additionally, as a club member you will benefit from:
- Regular colour magazines from both the DBKA and BBKA
- A monthly ‘Tivvy Buzzette’ – keeping you up to date about beekeeping in the Tiverton area
- Branch meetings in the winter, with a monthly programme of events
- Regular summer meetings at our Apiary at Knightshayes
- Download and complete the Enrolment Form below.
Places are limited and will be reserved in order of date of application. Your place will be confirmed upon receipt of your payment and enrolment form.
- The total fee is £95 (with a reduction for partners to £74). This includes the course fee of £56 for the 14 sessions. You will be enrolled as a member of the Devon Beekeepers’ Association (DBKA), which is affiliated to the British Beekeepers’ Association (BBKA) as a Registered Member (£39) or Partner membership (£18).
2. Improvers’ Course
This course offers the opportunity for people who have kept bees for at least two years to improve their skills and knowledge.
However, due to the Covid situation we are unable to run this course at present.
For more information please contact the Education Coordinator here